- Advertisement -
Home Politics Congress Romney Proposes 'Patriot Pay', Raising Minimum Wage to $12 for Essential Workers

Romney Proposes ‘Patriot Pay’, Raising Minimum Wage to $12 for Essential Workers

(Image Credit – Gage Skidmore)

Senator Mitt Romney has brought forward a plan to raise the minimum wage of essential workers to $12 per hour.

Referred to as Patriot Pay, the plan seeks to establish a temporary raise of the minimum wage to $12 per hour. The raise, according to the plan, will go on for three months; May, June, and July.

This is not the first time Republicans in Congress have proposed a solution progressives have been demanding for years. The $1200 stimulus check idea came from Republican factions as well. This idea got laughs from prominent Democratic presidential candidates on a debate stage in September. President Trump supported the move later.

According to the plan, 25% of the increase in pay would be covered by employers. The rest of the 75% would be covered by the federal government paid through refundable payroll tax credit.

Essential workers are at the frontline of the pandemic. Grocery store attendants, health care professionals, and many other workers are working day and night to keep the country on its feet.

However, this plan is not the only one in the works. Senate Democrats are also apparently working on plans that provide hazard pay to essential workers at the forefront of this crisis.

More on ‘Patriot Pay’

Some of the essential points of Romeny’s Patriot Pay plan are –

  • The plan works in two parts – people earning over $50,000 a year and those earning less than that
  • For employees earning less than $50,000 a year, employers would get a 75% refundable payroll tax credit
  • For those making over $50,000 a year, the tax credit would be cut down by $24 for every additional $500 until annualized income reaches $90,000
  • The plan is only applicable to essential workers
  • Who is an essential worker? The Department of Labor and Congress and would classify certain industries as essential and thus eligible for this plan

 

 

 

[mc4wp_form id=”870″]

Eric Danielshttps://camois.com/
Eric Daniel is a writer who has worked for several top publications. His current stint with Camois sees him tackle the problems that lie at the heart of the progressive movement. He hopes his writings can help inspire a movement one day. For now, he will settle for some retweets!

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Turmoil escalates as protesters and police clash nationwide

You describe it in Murray America has plunged into chaos at the protest against police brutality and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. You can't forget...

Death of George Floyd, Trudeau denounces anti-Black racism

What is start by addressing the situation that's unfolding South of the Border, which is also having an impact here at home for far...

Disney presents a reopening plan for Orlando theme parks

Eddie Soto is with us at is a special kind of guy because he's a former Walt Disney Imagineer, Eddie. Welcome to the program's...

Wearing A Mask Is ‘Not Political,’ Says Reporter | Camois

It's been a flex day curious as to days for Reuters White House correspondent Jeff Mason as the press secretary essentially questions his face,...

Related News

Turmoil escalates as protesters and police clash nationwide

You describe it in Murray America has plunged into chaos at the protest against police brutality and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. You can't forget...

Death of George Floyd, Trudeau denounces anti-Black racism

What is start by addressing the situation that's unfolding South of the Border, which is also having an impact here at home for far...

Disney presents a reopening plan for Orlando theme parks

Eddie Soto is with us at is a special kind of guy because he's a former Walt Disney Imagineer, Eddie. Welcome to the program's...

Wearing A Mask Is ‘Not Political,’ Says Reporter | Camois

It's been a flex day curious as to days for Reuters White House correspondent Jeff Mason as the press secretary essentially questions his face,...

COVID-19 cases spike in DC; police respond to large Memorial Day weekend block party in Southeast

He's he's on track to enter phase 1 of the reopening process Friday. But some are concerned that the city might not be ready...